When you want to start a blog, get a business website or just your own personal site, you will first need a domain name. A domain name is your unique name on the internet. It is the name that people will be typing on Google when they are searching for your business.
For example, at Hostvance, our domain name is hostvance.co.ke
Learn About Domain Name Extensions
Domain names can have different extensions. The most common extensions are .com, .net, and .org. For Kenyan businesses, the most common extension is .co.ke
Before you register a domain name in Kenya, it is important to think of the extension that you would like your domain name to have. Here is a quick guide to help you:
.com – This extension is best for commercial businesses
.org – This extension is best for organizations
.net – This is best for professional networks.
And here is a quick guide for .KE extensions and their best usage:
- .co.ke – for Companies
- .or.ke – for Not-for-Profit-Making Organisations or NGO’s
- .ne.ke – for Network Devices
- .go.ke – for Government Entities(Requires Supporting Documents)
- .ac.ke – for Institutions of Higher Educations.( Requires Supporting Documents)
- .sc.ke – for Lower and Middle Institutes of Learning. (Requires Supporting Documents)
- .me.ke – for Personal names
- .mobi.ke – for Mobile content
- .info.ke – for Information
RELATED: .KE Domain Name Registration Requirements
There are hundreds of extensions out there. You can see the extensions we support on our domain name prices page.
Now that you know what the domain name extensions are best for, it’s time to register your domain name.
How to Register a Domain Name in Kenya
Registering a domain name in Kenya is fast and easy. In fact, you can get a domain name in the next one minute.
The process of registering simply involves searching for the domain name that you want and paying for it online or through M-Pesa.
If you already have a domain name in mind that you would like to register, follow the process below:
- Search for the domain name to find out whether it’s available or has already been registered by someone else. Click HERE to check whether your preferred domain name is available.
- From there, enter the domain name that you want to register on the box. For example, if you want to register zambeziproductions.co.ke, enter it on the registration box.
- Fill the captcha and click “search”
- If the name is available, you will see a notice indicating that it’s available for registration. If it has already been registered, you will see a message showing that the domain is not available.
- If the domain is not available, consider registering a different domain name. A good idea is to check whether other extensions of the domain name are available for registration. For example, if you found out that zambeziproductions.co.ke is not available, you can check whether the .com, .net, .org or other extensions are available.
- When you find the domain that you want is available for registration, click the “Add to Cart” button to continue to checkout.
- Log in into your account. If you do not have an account, register for one)
- On the checkout page, choose your payment method and pay for your domain name.
- When your payment has been received, you will get a confirmation email regarding your purchase.
And that is how easy it is to register a domain name in Kenya. Anyone can do it fast online.